Graduate Visa 485

What it is and How to get it

The Temporary Graduate 485 is particularly important visa as it allows you to develop post-qualification work experience and consequently, increase the chances of obtaining a work or permanent visa. Here is what it is for and how to get it.

  • Graduate Work Stream: you can apply by demonstrating that you have studied at least 2 years in Australia, meeting the Australian Study requirement, and qualifying for an occupation that is on the Medium and Long Term list. (For example chef, electrician, plumber, child care center manager, carpenter, etc). In this case you will get a visa lasting 18 months with full working rights;
  • Post-Study Work Stream: can be requested after having studied at university level for at least two academic years, regardless of the specialization or degree course that will be achieved. The duration in this second case will vary according to the course of study.

Eligibility Criteria

The following criteria are common for both the PSWV (Post Study Work) application and the Graduate Work:

  • Age: The applicant must be under 50 years old on the date the application is submitted
  • English: the applicant must demonstrate knowledge of the English language, simply by showing an English passport if you have one or by taking an English test. Proof of knowledge of English must be provided on the date the application is made (the minimum threshold to be reached is an average of 6 with a minimum grade of 5 in each IELTS band)
  • Studying in Australia: It is necessary to meet the Australian Study requirement which requires at least 2 years of full-time study.
  • Obtain an AFP: Australian Police Check before applying for a visa.
  • OVHC: Demonstrate that you have adequate health coverage.
  • Have a valid student visa to oppose another substantial visa or a BVA, BVB and BVC no later than 6 months after the end of your student visa;
  • Apply for this visa within a maximum of 6 months from the end of the study course or from the expiry of the student visa.

During the application, it is possible to include spouses, de facto partners, same-sex partners and dependent children.

Conditions applied

The duration of the 485 visa will depend on the specific circumstances in which the applicant is. The Graduate Work visa is valid for 18 months from the date of acceptance of the application. The length of the PSW depends on your qualification and whether you have completed your studies in a regional area in Australia. If you have studied in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane the duration of the PSW will be:

  • 2 years: completion of Bachelor Degree, Bachelor with Honors, Master by Coursework or Masters (Extended)
  • 3 years: Research Master
  • 4 years: Doctorate

During a 485 visa, you have unlimited work rights in Australia. However, it is necessary to keep private health insurance for the duration of the visa (OVSH).

apply graduate visa 485

Click here to receive support during the Graduate Visa 485 application.

Example of eligibility for Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 – Chefs and Cooks

Chefs and cooks are professions highly demanded in Australia and usually have different types of visas such as student, sponsor, working holiday and general skilled visa.

Unlike many other professions, no license is currently required to work as a chef in Australia. Many chefs make their way with work experience, starting from the bottom up to becoming chefs.

However, to work as a qualified chef in Australia and obtain a work visa, there are some requirements that must be met. It is usually necessary to have a Cert IV in commercial cooking (or an equivalent international qualification – such as the Hotel Diploma). Those who are not in possession of the qualification can take one as international students. The available courses are:

  • Certificate III & IV in Commercial Cookery
  • Diploma of Hospitality Management

At the end of your studies you can apply for the 485 visa, which will allow you to develop the work experience necessary to subsequently apply for a 482 visa (sponsor).

If you are interested in studying commercial cooking, you can get in touch with our student advisors.

For more information on immigration and visas, do not hesitate to contact me on or call 0499600707.

Alessia Comandini, M.A.R.N. 1684766

See also

To read the latest updates declared by the Australian Government regarding the Graduate Visa application process, read here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *