While Christmas holidays came to an end and everyone is going back to work, we have prepared a short recap of the current COVID restrictions in Australia. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us or check healt.gov.com.au .
Active cases in Australia
314 – NWS 199, NT 19, QLD 21, SA 15, VIC 45, WA 15
People from overseas acquired in the last 7 days
86 – 10 people in the last 24h
Levels of restrictions – State by State
- Three-day lockdown expercted to end today at 6pm. Watch out for more news;
- Queensland border is open to all states and territories, unless you have been in a COVID hotspot in the last 14 days.
- People in NSW who have been in COVID hotspots are restricted from entering all other states and territories;
- New South Wales borders are open to all states and territories. However, if you come from the greater Brisbane area (since 2 January 2021), you are required to follow the locdown rules.
- Borders with NSW are closed. To enter Victoria you are required to present a permit. You can only enter if:
- you are transiting NSW to Victoria from another state/ territory;
- briefly passing through Victoria and are not staying;
- or you are a permitted worker;
- If you are travelling from QLD, you cannot enter in Victoria, unless an exemption applies. If you have been in the Greater Brisbane area since 2 January and you are in Victoria, you are required to get tested even if you have no symptons.
- No restriction on Tasmanian travelling to other states;
- if you are to go back to Tasmania, however you have visited one of the high risk location in QLD and NSW, you must apply for a permit before entering Tasmania;
- Travellers who have spent time in high/medium – risk areas and wanting to go back home, are required to complete quarantine in a suitable premises or government-designated premises (fees can applied).
Wester Australia, South Australia, Northern Territory and ACT
- travellers from medium/high risk areas are not permitted to enter in those states/territories, unless granted of a travel exemption;
- wether you come from a high/medium/low risk area, you must have a G2G PASS to enter Wester Australia;
- anyone travelling to South Australia must complete a cross-border travel registration;
- to enter Northen Territory, you must fill out a border enetry form up to 72 hourse before arrival to present upon entry. You will be required to legally declare you have not been in an area the state considers a Covid-19 hotspot in the past 28 days. Penalties of up to $5,000 and up to three years in prison apply for providing misleading information;
International Borders and Vaccine
International border are still closed to overseas travel from Australia due to COVID restrictions. According to Health Minister Greg Hunt, the Australian overseas travel ban is expected to be in place until at least 17 March 2021. In fact, Australia is not planning to open borderd to international travellers until the vaccine has been widely rolled out.
Vaccination for at-risk Australian residents and frontline workers is likely to begin around March 2021, according to the Australian Department of Health. Health Minister Greg Hunt says the goal is to have community vaccination in Australia by October 2021.
Contact the Team
Get in tough with us, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +61 3 9939 7292. Our team members are happy to help you with your visa quiries.